Versitle Recipe for Pasta, Pizza, and whatever your imagination desires.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, dried oregano, and dried basil. Stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you prefer a smoother sauce, use an immersion blender to blend the sauce until smooth.
- Serve the sauce over your favorite pasta, or use it as a base for pizza or lasagna.
This basic marinara sauce recipe is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. The canned tomatoes make it convenient to prepare and the combination of olive oil, garlic, onion, oregano, and basil give it a classic, traditional flavor. You can also add in some red pepper flakes for a little heat or some chopped fresh basil for extra flavor. This sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a week or you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Enjoy!